Thursday, February 8, 2018

When a mentor and dear friend dies: Brother Larry Rutledge (1941-2018)


I never understood why at baby dedications, they would say "stand if you promise to help raise this baby and guide them in the Word and in good works". The reason that made me question this practice? It was due to only the parents are in the homes and they are the ones who raise children, not this big group of people who are standing and will possibly never talk to that baby as they grow up.


That is up until Brother Larry Rutledge died Tuesday 2/30/18 at the age of 72. As much as any person can know about another*, I believe he was a born-again Christian.The Bible says we will know them by their fruits. Well, Mister Rutledge was fruitful.


                The misunderstanding of the baby dedication, changed for me right then.

                           I then realized that Larry Rutledge had helped raised me.

As soon as I read on Facebook at 5am Wednesday morning, that  I realized something quite spectacular about a great number of people who are also members of the local church.

During grade school at church, Larry Rutledge was one of the RA teachers taught me about missions, the Bible, and the missionary David Livingstone.  For as long as I can remember Larry Rutledge would talk to me in kindness and truth.  Finally Brother Larry Rutledge lived worthy of the Gospel and in all ways above reproach. In a way that all who knew him noticed.

Just like the people who stand and vow at baby dedications, Mr. Larry helped raised me in the faith. He wasn’t sinless but I full heartedly believe that my dear friend did repent and believe in the Sinless one!

If Larry were still alive today he would agree and proclaim that, God created man in good relationship with God and sin marred that for all of us through Adam's fall. Then Larry would remind us, I believe that while hell is for all who sin, God made a way to avoid Hell and be most importantly have a restored relationship with God. For God so loved the world, that Jesus became sin on the Cross, that while we are still sinners Christ died for us. While death came through Adam how much more so would many be saved through the only Way, Jesus Himself. Who said that in order to be truly born-again Christians, individuals must Repent and Believe the Gospel.



*No one can know for absolute certain if someone is a Christian, and we should never do God's work, in declaring someone saved. It is always between the individual in need of grace and God, the giver of Grace whether or not someone is a believer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Attendance Easter service.

Dear Christians, may we proclaim truth from God and not pollute our churches and lives with traditions of man. May we not try to attract att...

Followers